Gluten and egg free
- 50d fresh basil. I use the whole basil stalks included. If the centre stalk is quite thick I remove that but keep the rest.
- ½ Cup pine nuts
- ½ Cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 small clove garlic or ½ large clove, crushed
- ¹⁄³ Cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 180°C. While it’s heating you can remove the big stalk from the basil and grate your cheese.
- Lay the pine nuts on a baking tray, making sure they are spread out and not overlapping.
- Place the pine nuts in the oven for 5 minutes. Take the tray out and give it a shake or toss the pine nuts around. Put them back in the oven for 2-3 minutes until they are slightly darker in colour and nice and toasted.
- Add the basil, cheese, garlic and nuts into a food processor and blend.
- As the food processor is going, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the hole in the top.
- Add salt and pepper and give a quick whiz. Pesto is done when all ingredients are fine. If you like a chunky pesto, don’t blend it as much.
- Serve as a dip, a side dish, drizzle over meat or vegetables or stir through cooked pasta or rice.
Subscribe to Blog via Email