GF, NF, EF, DF
SERVES at least 6
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ large head (or small whole head) of broccoli cut into large florets
- 150-200g cauliflower cut into large florets
- 1 Cup of pre-soaked over night, kidney or cannelloni beans (or a can if you like)
- ¾ Cup brown lentils (or a can)
- 700g jar of tomato Passata
- ½ Cup water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- ¹/8 tsp. chilli powder (if you choose)
- 1 Tbsp. extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Put all the spices into the pan and stir continuously for 2 minutes. Stir in all the vegetables (don’t add lentils and beans if they are from a can). Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Pour passata sauce over the vegetables. Put the water into the empty passata jar and swish the left over sauce and water around, then pour it into the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then pour it all into a slow cooker. Cook on high for at least 5 hours.
- If you used lentils and beans from a can, add those in with no less than ½ hour before the end of the cooking.
- Taste the chilli to see if it needs more salt, pepper or chilli.
- I give it a rough little whizz with a hand blender so the kids can’t really see the vegetables.
- For myself I serve it with rice and top with guacamole.
- For the kids, I like to use it as a sauce to pour over some thinly sliced chicken breast fillets that I have sprinkled with a little salt and paprika and cooked in the pan with some coconut oil.
Subscribe to Blog via Email