My Mum and Dad used to make this for me when I was a kid. Now my kids enjoy it.
- 4 free range eggs
- 4 slices bread (I used spelt sourdough)
- ½ Cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Butter each slice of bread on both sides.
- Using a glass or round biscuit/scone cutter, cut a hole out of the bread.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat and lightly brush the pan with a little oil to stop the egg from sticking to the pan.
- Place 2 slices of the bread with a hole in it, in the pan.
- Crack an egg into each of the holes. If you’re not great a cracking eggs, crack one onto a plate and then pour it into the hole and repeat this process.
- When you crack the egg into the hole, quickly lift the edges of the bread slightly, one at a time to allow some of the egg to spread underneath the bread.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the Parmesan cheese on the top of the egg.
- Cook for 2 minutes then using an egg flip, turn the bread over to cook the other side.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Do the same with the other 2 pieces of bread and eggs.
- Cook the bread that you cut out of the middle in the pan on both and serve it with the Toad in the hole. You can also serve this with baked beans or bacon.
Subscribe to Blog via Email