GF, DF, V, EF, NF
Serves at least 6
- 1½ Cups red lentils
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee (you can use butter if you don’t have Ghee)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 cardamom pods (crush open by placing a knife over the top, flat side down and bang the heel of your hand on the blade of the knife)
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely diced or u can use a small amount of chilli powder, or nothing if you don’t like chilli
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini
- 1 large or 2 small carrots
- 2 Cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 Cups water
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat a large saucepan or cast iron pot on Medium-high heat. When hot, pour in oil and ghee. Allow to bubble slightly.
- Add onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in all of the spices including the salt, and allow them to become nice and fragrant. Don’t burn them.
- Stir in water, lentils and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered and stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the vegetables and cook covered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.