Gluten, Dairy, Nut and Egg free
Get the slow cooker out.
- 3 lamb shanks
- Some extra bones to boost the flavour
- Lamb bones
- 1 x brown onion, diced
- 2 x carrots, sliced
- ¼ Cauliflower, cut into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 x zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 Cups Lamb or chicken bone broth/stock (I use home made. See recipe under bone broth)
- 1 x 400g can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Turn the slow cooker on to high heat to warm up.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add onion and cook stirring for 2 minutes until it goes soft.
- Put the celery and carrot into the pan. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika and cinnamon. Cook stirring for 2 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Sprinkle a little salt on the lamb shanks, turn the heat up to high and put the lamb shanks in the pan. Cook the shanks on all sides to brown slightly and to get coated in the spices.
- Pour the stock, tomatoes and salt and pepper into the pan. Bring to the boil.
- Take the shanks out with tongs and lay them in the slow cooker. Place the extra bones (if you’re using them) on top. Place the cauliflower and zucchini in the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce from the frying pan into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Serve with mashed potato, pumpkin and/or sweet potato. You could also serve it with rice if you like.
Subscribe to Blog via Email