Who doesn’t love beef stroganoff? This recipe has to be on your weekly menu.
I like my stroganoff with a steamed jacket potato, but you could serve it with rice or pasta.
Gluten, egg and nut free
- 1.5kg chuck, round or gravy beef, cut into thin strips
- 1 brown onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 large flat mushrooms or 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ Cups beef stock (see bone broth for my home made version)
- 500ml sour cream, take out of the fridge when you start cooking to ensure it’s not too cold. Helps prevent it from splitting when you add it to the sauce.
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add oil and heat.
- Add onions to the oil and cook for 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms and cook stirring for 4 minutes until soft.
- Remove onions and mushrooms from the pan and put in a clean bowl.
- Turn heat up to high heat. When the pan is hot, add meat, salt and pepper and cook quickly for 4 minutes to brown slightly. We don’t want to cook the meat, just give it a little colour.
- Add paprika to the meat and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock, onion and mushrooms and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 25-35 minutes. The longer the better as the meat will be soft.
- Take the lid off and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the sour cream a little at a time and stir it into the stock. If you add it all at once it may split.
- Once all the sour cream is added, simmer gently for 5 minutes so the sauce thickens.
- I serve mine with a steamed jacket potato and green beans.