Gluten, egg and dairy free (there is butter in the recipe but you can use a dairy free alternative)
Makes about 22 pieces
- 1 Cup almond meal
- 1 Cup gluten free plain flour
- 1 Cup coconut
- ½ Cup coconut sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 100g butter
- 250g pitted medjool dates, chopped
- ¹⁄³ Cup water
- ¾ Cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 170ºC. Grease and line a square slice tray.
- Mix the dry ingredients of the base together in a large bowl.
- Pour butter over the dry ingredients and mix together ensuring it is well combined.
- Pour it into the prepared tray. Press down firmly and smooth with the back of a spoon. Make sure you get it into the corners of the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until it just starts to go a light golden colour and is aromatic.
- While that is baking, in a small saucepan on low heat, melt butter, dates and water together. Stir continuously until smooth and looks a bit like a caramel.
- Gently pour it over the base, then evenly spread the pecans on the top. Push the pecans down a little to make sure they stay on the filling.
- Bake in the oven for a further 10m to 12 minutes or until you can see the pecans browning and little and the edges of the slice are darker.
- Once cooked, leave to cool for 20 minutes, then place in the fridge to set.
- Cut into squares and serve as is or you could add cream on the side if you like.
Subscribe to Blog via Email