Gluten, nut, egg and dairy free
Makes about 10-12 muesli bars
Time: 15 minutes prep
30 minutes in the fridge
- ½ Cup pop corn kernels
- ¼ Cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ Cup pepitas
- ³⁄4 Cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ Cup of currants
- ¼ Cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- ¼ Cup extra virgin coconut oil plus an extra 1Tbsp
- ¹⁄³ Cup raw honey
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- Heat a medium or large saucepan on medium heat. Add the tablespoon of coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, pour in the popcorn kernels. Put the lid on and shake the pan every few seconds to keep the kernels moving so they don’t burn.
- If you have a glass lid it makes it easier to see when the popcorn is finished popping. You don’t want to leave it to long because the kernels that popped first can burn. When there is only a few kernels popping, remove the pan from the heat.
- Grease and line a 23cm x 18cm rectangle slice tin.
- When the popcorn has cooled a little, put it in a food processor with the sunflower seeds and pepitas. Blitz until the popcorn is fine but still a little chunky. If you want the seeds to be finer, you may have to add them first before the popcorn goes in as they may not get processed as much.
- In the same saucepan that you cooked the popcorn in, melt butter, coconut oil, honey and coconut sugar on medium heat. When it is melted and bubbling, remove from the heat.
- Pour the popcorn mixture, apricots, currants and coconut into the pan and mix making sure that all the dry ingredients are covered in the honey.
- Pour into the prepared tray. Press into the corners and smooth the mixture out. Make sure you press down firmly so it sticks together.
- Place in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes or until it is set firmly.
- Cut into bars or small squares.
Subscribe to Blog via Email