Gluten, dairy, nut and egg free.
- 1 organic whole chicken
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. oregano, fresh (1tsp. if using dried)
- ½ Tbsp. fresh tarragon (½ tsp. if using dried)
- 1 lemon – the rind grated and ½ the lemon juiced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 Cup chicken broth/stock – I always use home made. See recipe under bone broth.
- 2 carrots, thick slices
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in large chunks
- 3 potatoes cut in half
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, paprika, turmeric, oregano, tarragon, salt, pepper, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- To cut chicken open. Lay chicken breast side down, spine up. Grab the tail (bum) and run your fingers down the spine to see where you need to cut. Some people cut from the neck down. Do what you find easiest. Run your knife down one side of the spine, cutting right through. Many people then cut down the other side of the spine and completely remove it. If you do, keep it for your stock. I don’t always cut it off. Pull the chicken open and lay it face down. You now have your flat chicken.
- Grab hold of the skin of the chicken near the legs and run your fingers between the skin and the meat to seperate them slightly. Be careful not to break the skin. Rub the butter mixture between the skin and meat, pushing it up the chicken. Do this where the breast is too. massage the butter up the chicken and into the meat. Rub a little on the outside of the chicken on the skin.
- In a large roasting pan, drizzle some olive oil on the bottom.
- Lay the chicken skin side up, flat in the pan.
- Spread the vegetables around it and pour the stock over the vegetables.
- Place in the oven to cook for 45 minutes to an hour or until the chicken in cooked through. Turn the vegetables half way through the cooking process.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it our of the pan and rest it for 10 minutes on a clean chopping board.
- Pour the juices from the pan into a small saucepan and on high heat, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until the juices have reduced and thickened slightly.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the vegetables. Pour the gravy over the chicken and serve.
Subscribe to Blog via Email